Re: multigap

Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: multigap

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> hi chuck,
> in looking at your gap i would say to keep an eye out for little flakes
> of bluish metal under the tubes. this will be the "muck" from the tubes.
> i think that with the tubes placed as you did, as an arc point corrodes
> the arc will move over to an area that is "cleaner". as this happens the
> point that is corroded will cool and then the flake will fall off. i
> think you may have designed a self cleaning gap of copper.
> the only downside i can see is that as the arc moves over, with the two
> curvatures at right angles to each other, the arc length may change
> slightly. this may not be a problem at all because as on gap is
> lengthened, the others may shorten causing an equilibrium of sorts.
> it is an interesting design that when thought of, offers interesting
> possibility's.
> good work,
> marc
>

> > >The tubes were very luke warm after 2 minutes on continuos
> > >use.  No muck build up yet after several days of play although there
> > is some
> > >discolouring due to the localised heat. Have a look at
> > >http://www.charles.a.hobson.btinternet.co.uk/sp_gp1.jpg.

Hi Marc

Thanks for your informative comments.  There is some  bluish colouring on
the tubes but no flaking yet. This is after approximately 30 accumulated
minutes of operation. Most runs are limited to about 10 - 15 seconds because
I have only one NST and want to keep it healthy (champagne appetite and beer
pocket book).  You can see a little of this discolouring in the jpeg
picture. I am still coming back from the moon over its improvement over the
single static gap.

Chuck