Re: RSG sweet-spot

In a message dated 2/11/01 9:13:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> 4.  What worked for us:  We connected the 120 volt motor to a variac and
>  increased voltage to about 134 volts.  It "locked-in" at this point.  We
>  then backed the voltage off to around 110 and the motor did not change rpm.
>  It worked great!!  To further test it, we reduced the voltage al the way
>  down to 72 volts before the motor fell out of sync.  Your motor, I'm sure,
>  will vary but this may work for you and save the hassles of new motors,
>  Swiss cheese discs, and new electrodes.
>
>  Best of luck,
>
>  Trent Mullins

Chris, Trent,

Another method that may work is to use the phase shifter circuit.
This circuit can be adjusted to give some resonant rise, which can
help to start the motor despite a heavy rotor.  Select a phase shift
cap size that gives enough resonant rise to start the motor.  (Adjust
the variac knob top the position that gives the most reso-voltage rise
to start the motor.)  But
adjust the mechanical phase such that the motor is normally run
at a different variac postion, where the voltage is lower.  (This way
the motor starts at high voltage, but runs at a lower voltage for
less stress on the components.)

What I mention above is a special way to use the phase shifter
circuit.  It is normally not used that way.

The phase shifter circuit can be seen at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John Freau