A little worried. I don't want landlord to ban my hobby.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<garry-at-ndfc-dot-com>

>The other day, I had the landlady look at a leak in my roof and I forgot to
>put away my Tesla coil. Consequently she asked about it and I felt compelled
>to be honest. At one point she asked if it were dangerous and I replied "Not
>particularly" meaning its not a toy but compared it to a knife, if you are
>careful and don't do something stupid you are OK.

>I almost ended up being told that I could no longer stay there if I wanted
>to keep the coil. Meaning that I couldn't even POSSES it let alone run it!!
>Her exact words were "Then you can't have it. Nobody is allowed to have
>something dangerous here."
>I almost referred her to www.pupman-dot-com for more information. After
>re-reading the safety sheet, I am glad I didn't tho not because I disagree
>with anything on the site but because all it would have taken for my hobby
>to be ended would be for her to read the phrase repeated over and over
>"Tesla coils are extremely dangerous" for her to put an end to it all for me
>and at such great cost, of hundreds possibly a thousand dollars I have spent
>trying to get one that would last and not fry at the drop of a hat. I agree
>that these things can be very dangrous in the hands of someone who is
>inexperienced and does not have a healthy respect and knowledge of what even
>high frequency output from a tesla coil can do.
snip- - - -
>I am just wondering if there is anything that could be done to reword it so
>that if she did happen to look at this site - she is the type to look up
>things on the internet. If she finds this site, my coiling days are over
snip- - - -

Dear Dr. Frankenstein,
        When seeing and hearing your "creation" has spooked the peasants to
the point where they are storming the castle carrying torches, it may not be
possible to convince them that "He's just a big kid at heart" . You will at
least have to lay low for a while, lock the creature in the dungeon, and may
very well have to scope out another castle when your current lease is up.
         In the '60s, I lost an apartment before I learned not to breathe
the word "waterbed" where the landlord or the tenants below could hear it.
(Much less dangerous than a TC, but not in the mind of an ignorant property
owner.) You might as well have said you practice witchcraft, but only call up
good demons.
        But maybe you will be the one person in a thousand that can succeed
in after-the-fact education of the already frightened. Asking that anyone on
the list "sanitize" their work to save your bacon is IMO, unreasonable.

Good Luck
Matt D