Re: Please help me with my coil

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Tom,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Tom Stathes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <newphreak_16-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> Here are my coil specs.
>
> I recently built a 50nf 20kvdc mmc cap for my coil.
> after adding a decent topload and retuning i get the
> same spark length as with my 12nf saltwater/winebottle
> cap.  What gives?

50nF is quite large if your running at low currents. You didn't give
transformer specs, but based on 1.33kW I'm guessing 80mA? If this was the case,
your cap would take about 46ms to fully charge. This is an extremely long time.
If you have your gap set to fire at about 120 bps via gap spacing, then your
probably firing at about 11 or 12 kVp. You might want to try using your intial
value of 12nF or similar with the MMC and see what happens. I'm guessing at
numbers here. Transformer specs would really help look at this area of the
coil.

With the 50nF, you could open up the gap thus allowing a longer charge time to
reach your given voltage (add more pipe sections). It may fire at a very slow
rate however. Not enough info to say for sure. Be careful if you do this. If
you go too wide you could overvolt a string (baby steps).

> I think i might make a rotary gap i saw in
> poptronics.  It was made by attaching metal strips to
> a muffin fan, and putting it between 2 electrodes
>               0
>     ---0 0-fanblades-0 0---
>               0
> not to scale obviously

You could do it. It's been done before. I don't think the fan would last long
where the arc occurs. Why not build a RQ/TCBOR Gap. There are details all over
the web. This is a static gap using copper pipe sections placed in a PVC tube
cooled with a muffin fan at one end and connections made to the outside of the
PVC via a bolt which penetrates to each copper section. They perform quite
well.

Take care,
Bart