RE: New formula for secondary resonant frequency

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Hi Kurt -

Thank you for the info on your coil/s self capacitance formula based on the
Medhurst K-value table. The formula I used for the JHCTES Ver 3.1 and Ver
3.2 programs is the following Medhurst one.

  Ccoil = 5.08*3*((.0563*Hs/Rs)+(.38*sqrt(Rs/Hs)) +.08)

This formula appears to have an accuracy of better than 2% for Tesla coils
with secondaries with H/D ratios of less than about 5 when compared with
measured values. The accuracy of the measured values are not shown so it is
not possible to know exactly the accuracy of the above formula. As most
Tesla coils are designed with H/D ratios of less than 5 I do not think I
will change the JHCTES at this time. In fact I am amazed the JHCTES is
producing these accuracies.

John Couture