Re: why are secondaries bare?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/1/01 9:16:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi list, first post for me, but I've been lurking for awhile.
>

> This might be so fundamental of a question you guys will be bored, but
> I don't think I've ever seen an answer and I don't have anyone to
> ask.  What is the electrical reason that the secondary windings are always
> bare on TCs or on any transformer.  They're just responding to magnetic
> fields from the primary, right?  Magnetic fields, unlike electricity, know
> no insulation, so why leave the secondary uncovered.  It could still be
> stripped at the end and grounded and connected to a toroid...
>
> Excuse my ignorance if I'm grossly misinformed about something.
>
> --lews therin telamon.

Hi Lews (aka Kinslayer)

      There is no 'toh for seeking wisdom before calling down the Fires of
Heaven. The wire only appears bare from a distance and in photos. It is
coated, but not covered allowing more turns/inch== more electromagnetic field
. Had you not asked before proceeding, much damage could have been done to
you and your surroundings. Study the books and ask, ask, ask, on list or off.
Regards to 'al Thor & Co.

Yours in the light,
Matt D.