Re: Checking M.O. diodes

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Weazle.

I've heard that high voltage rectifiers require at least a couple of volts to
begin conducting (when forward biased of course). This is more than your VOM
can provide...so:

I would take a low current, 10, 12, 2000 or whatever volt power supply (DC or
AC), and see if I could draw current through it. A good diode will be be a
dead short (max current) in one direction, and no measureable current
(microamps) should flow in the other direction. Put a resistor in series w/
the diode to keep the current down (around .35 to .5A max for most microwave
diodes) so it doesn't overheat.

I've tried using a VOM to check microwave diodes also.......even the good
ones show an infinite resistance in both directions. Other diodes (such as
the 1N400X series) can be checked with an ohmeter.

Hope it helps.......I wonder if there are any better methods?

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com
Webpage: http://www.angelfire-dot-com/tx4/electricbuzz/mainpage.html