Re: Solid State Tesla Coil Book Available

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>
>
> > Software packages such as Mathematica can calculate values of the
> > capacitance formula to any degree of accuracy. Unfortunately the
Mathematica
> > package cost about $1,600 (half that to an educational institution).
>
> To just evaluate a formula, there are certainly less expensive
> alternatives...
>
> > Anyway I'm playing around with approximation theory to see if I can extract
> > a useful algebraic formula that approximates the capacitance formula given
> > in Moon and Spencer. If I'm lucky, I'll share the result with the list.
>
> What is the formula? Is it ideally exact or just an empirical
> approximation?
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

	If I remember correctly (it's been over 50 years) calculation of the
capacitance of an isolated torus was a student's problem in Smythe's
"Electricity and Magnetism".  Solution involved Legendre integrals and I
never saw a successful answer.  There may be no closed-form solution.

Ed