Re: Marx Generator

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Richard and all,

While not on topic, my answer will be, since it deals with some great
books on High Voltage engineering that Tesla Coilers could find very
useful.

One affordable book that covers Marx Generator design (and LOTS of other
stuff also) is "High Voltage Engineering" by E. Kuffel and W. S. Zaengl,
Pergamon Press, 1984, 498 pp. This book contains lots of valuable
information on generating and measuring HV, E-field control, electrical
breakdown in gases, liquids, and solids, testing, and overvoltage
protection and insulation coordination. Often available for $18-25 used.

Another book that's good (and even CHEAPER!) is "High Voltage
Engineering" by C. L. Wadhwa, published by New Age International Ltd.
India, 1994, 281 pp. This book is a real sleeper - it's got some of the
best (color!) pictures of high voltage generation and testing equipment
by Haefely & Co., and is intended to be a text book for undergraduate EE
study. In the chapter about "Generation of Impulse Voltages and
Currents" are the derivation of the design equations you are seeking to
control the front and tail portions of the impulse generator. While I've
found a few minor inaccuracies in this book, it's basically an excellent
reference book at a STEAL! The downside is that you'll need to order it
from a vendor in India (not a big problem with airmail these days). My
total cost for this book was $10.50... :^)

Finally, one other affordable book is "High Voltage Engineering", 2nd
ed., by M. S. Naidu and V. Kamaraju, Tata McGraw-Hill (India), 1995,
372pp. This book also covers much material, and covers the design
equations for Marx Generators. This typically sells for about $15, but
as with the book above, it must be shipped from India. It's identical to
the book published in the USA, but considerably less expensive.

All of the above books are available through a number of book vendors -
check http://www.addall-dot-com or http://www.addall-dot-com/used/ for the best
deals.

Probably the best high voltage resistors (rated for high energy pulse
work) are available from Kanthal. These are bulk ceramic construction,
and are capable of safely withstanding large amounts of pulsed power. Be
forewarned though, they are NOT cheap:
http://www.globar-dot-com/resistors.highvoltage.html

Best regards,

-- Bert --