Re: Undesired "effect" with saltwater caps

Original poster: "Chris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris-at-atomic-pc-dot-com>

I was looking at that bucket cap setup on your site... I just need to get
some long necked bottles.

I took the Snapple bottles, poured some new motor oil on top of the salt
water, and covered up any sharp
edges or points on the outsides with several layers of electrical tape.  I
know elec. tape won't hold up at
really high voltages, but do you think it will be just enough to prevent
the arcing? (maybe like 5 layers)

How about dipping the outsides of the bottles in shellac?  I'm trying to
avoid using the salt water on the
outside of the bottles, heheh.  Don't want to resort to a big tank o' SW
just yet.

Another question:  suppose I test a SW cap at room temperature and find it
to be 740 pF.  Now let's say I
fire up the tank circuit for 30 seconds.  How much would you guess (it can
be a very wild guess, now) that
this capacitance will change??  Enough to require adding / removing a cap?
Pretend that my SW caps will not
shatter (I know they might :-0 ).

Chris

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>