Re: Streamer Behavior

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ajjrice-at-yahoo-dot-com>

21/12/2001 15:03:59, "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

hello malcom,

interestingly i have observed the same type of pre- breakout phenomena with
my large
wimshurst machine, if i open the gap to a bit longer than it can jump with
two leyden jar
capacitors, charge it up and then touch one terminal i can see a globe of
beautiful
feathery 'sparks' that extend for around 6 - 7 inches around the other
terminal, i have no
idea how this occurs, i can only presume by suddenly grounding one side of
the device
the other winds up at a huge potential relative to ground, it is really
wierd being a dc
phenomena as well as an ac one - maybee same effec, different reason. i
would be very
interested if anyone could proffer an explaination

intruigedly

alex