Re: Solid State TC info on website

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cwillis-at-guilford.edu>

Hi Terry,

There is really very little to feel unless my hand stays in the discharge
for a long time in one place.  Then, as you would imagine, one can be
burned.  The bright areas are probably sodium from my skin that has
volatilized into the spark.  It does look interesting.

Your 900-watt coil- is that average CW power?  That will indeed probably
pepper your hand with holes in no time!  When I was fooling with an 833
tube oscillator of similar power level, back in the day, I got an RF burn
that looked so nasty my mother insisted on taking me to the ER to get it
cleaned up.  I've got to say that, at least on this small scale,
solid-state coiling is pretty safe when compared to spark-gap coils or
tubes.  No primary voltages higher than 120 V...and the RF burns aren't too
bad either.

-Carl