Re: MOT power supply?

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Your plan is workable. I've experimented with a MOT
power supply, and gotten good performance. I haven't
tried 4 series MOTs, but others have with good
results. You'll need to submerge them in transformer
oil for insulation and heat control. You'll also need
a ballast of some sort to limit wallplug current, or
the thing will draw 40 or more amps! A cheap AC stick
welder in series will do, and provide variable power
control in the bargain.

Pole transformers don't cost $700--at least used ones
don't. If you can find a rewinding shop within driving
distance (to avoid shipping costs), you can pick up a
5-10KVA rebuilt or reconditioned pig for $250-$350.

MOTs are capable of eliciting "powerful sparks" from a
Tesla coil.

I've yet to fry a MOT in TC service, so I expect yours
will hold up fine assuming you use an oil bath and
safety gaps.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg