Re: Streamer Behavior vs BPS

Hi Steve -

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

> My two little 4 inch TCs were spaced about 4 feet apart.  They are two
> identical coils with one tank cap across both primaries in series.  ASRG
> with 8 rotating electrodes and 2 stationary electrodes, one on each side of
> the rotor.  Power is DC reactor resonant charger powered by dual MOTs with
> filtered doublers for up to 10 KV DC out.  At full power and 500 BPS, I can
> get 57 inch streamers.  At less than 200 BPS, there are several about 18
> inch streamers the jump out of the toroids at different locations. Kind of
> worrysome in my cramped basement lab as some of them try to jump to me!

Yes, I know what you mean. I had a streamer get nasty with me last week
while adjusting the TSG gap to
"not" conduct without the trigger, when it shot a rather very strait
streamer 90 inches almost
perfectly horizontal stopping just in front of my face! That was enough of
that.

> Toroids are el-cheapo 5 inch OD flex drain pipe covered with duct tape then
> aluminum tape, about 20 inches total width.  Breakout wires face each other
> level with the toroid tops and stick out about an inch.

Have you tried the breakout points to protrude from the edge (center)?
Points of charge should build
around the edge.

> John Freau replied to this and caused me to remember that as the BPS gets
> lower, the bang energy is going up.  The average current drops and my DC
> supply puts out another KV or 2.  This could also account for the increased
> "gas burner" effect, as John aptly calls it.

I understand a lower bps allows more time to charge the cap to a higher
voltage, but I'm not sure how
this accounts for the gas burner effect. That in itself would be very
interesting to study. I wonder
what other conditions are present to cause such an effect. I've heard of
it, but never expereinced it.

>  I will have to try the
> experiments again keeping the HVDC constant and see if the effect is still
> the same.

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

Take care,
Bart