Re: Uniflow Gap (tsg)

Hello all,

I did some more tests comparing the Uniflow TSG with the sync rotary.

It turns out that my TT-42 was sputtering even with the sync-gap.
I think some of the abusive tests which burned the secondary may
have caused other damage, etc.  The secondary may be shorting
out intermittently or something.  I'll probably have to rewind the
bottom two inches of the secondary.  Also, my tap-point connection
may have been loose.  I wiggled some wires, and the sputtering
seems to have stopped.  It's sputtering less with the TSG too.
It's one of those cases where other problems are clouding the
issue.  Nevertheless, the Uniflow TSG works fine, and gives nice
40" sparks.  The sparks seem to break out more from other
toroid areas using the TSG compared to the rotary, but the
sparks are no longer and are often shorter.  It's possible I don't have
the rotary phased just right, because I don't have the remote
phase controller hooked up to it.  I also noticed that if I reduce
the voltage to the HEIC, it helps to stop some sputtering.  So it
seems the HEIC trigger voltage may be critical too.  The hair
dryer seems to give enough cooling/quenching air.  I explained
the setup in yesterday's posting.

Another thing I did is to adjust the trigger electrode so it reaches
farther towards the center of the hollow gap, so it's more directly
in the airflow.  This may keep the trigger a little cooler and result
in steadier operation.  I set the main gap spacing at 5/8" but
since the trigger is in between, it's effectively a 1/2" gap I guess,
and it probably always arcs though the trigger making it effectively
a two gap series gap.

Overall, the results with the Uniflow TSG and John Tebbs
controller are excellent at this power level.

Cheers,
John