Re: triggered gap idea

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All, Jim!

  Been there, did it ;)  I grabbed the IGN unit out of a VW Jetta
(80-something).  It's a little black 7-pin doolie on a plain aluminum sheet
(heat sink) under the hood on the driver's side, right back under the rain
tray.  It's driven by a Hall sensor on the distributor, so all you have to
do is feed it pulses from a 555 based timer.  I used a small switching
xsistor (sorry, no number, was in the junk box) to keep current on the 555
within sane levels, and I ran 12v pulses to the IGN module.  The 555 circuit
was the standard, running at ~200hz to some nasty high-pitched level.  The
use of a low (I used a 2 ohm) value resistor in the +12v feed of the IGN
module is recommended.  VW does this by means of a ~38" wire of a specific
gauge in the engine compartment.  Sorry, but no Chiltons here at work for my
VW.     Does it work?  You betcha!!!  The IGN unit is built like a little
tank!
        Is it useful?  Ummm...all mine really did was give me a convenient,
easy to trigger IGN coil driver that I *knew* would handle the abuse. I blew
mine up from stupidity.  It drove a GM coil with no problem, though I never
tried running it on a flyback.

    Just my $.02