Re: PC board primaries

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

The thing I wonder about regarding all these PC-board primary posts is that
the epoxy-glass board may act as a spark conductor, in the sense that in
many situations a spark may only be able to jump say 1 inch in air will be
able to jump more than 1 inch if there is a non-conductive surface (air to
non-conductor surface) between the electrodes, for example the circuit board.
This comes up in capacitor design, the "air" distance between conductors in a
capacitor needs to be much longer than 1-inch-per-75kV since sparks tend to
travel longer when there is a "surface" to travel along. I'm not sure what
the correct terminology for this is, but I'm sure many folks on this list
know about and have also experienced what I'm talking about...

Pete Lawrence.