Re: How to explain what a Tesla coil is....

Bob, this is what I do for a living :) Here's a few tips that I use...

To explain Volts and Amps, use water, it's something that the "Normal"
people can relate to a LOT better than
diagrams and formulae. It's this simple, Electricity is like water in a
pipe, where Volts is the pressure and Amps is teh diameter of the pipe. This
isn't terribly accurate, but it works for the basics (Pingpong balls in a
tube is a lot better, but I use that for explaining how electricity moves).

For the concept of resonance (the heart of the coils operation), use the
analogy of a swingset :) A small amount of energy applied at the right
moment can add up to a greatly amplified display of power. Every kid that
has ever come into one of our classes has been able to understand water and
swingsets :) This works on kids of all ages too.

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group