Re: Pole transformer advice

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/8/01 12:46:19 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> "I need a 10 KVA pole
> transformer, 2 bushings, no taps, 120/240 volts out, 14400 volts in". It is
> still possible to buy these things if the right words are used.
>
> Steve: Coiling in Iowa

Steve, all,

Yes, I definitely have to agree that a lot of transformer manufac-
turere are "gunshy" about selling pole transformers to individuals
for private use. I ran into this problem while I was trying to obtain
the pole pig for my "Medusa" Tesla system. I had talked to one
transformer rebuilder shop that was willing to sell me one at first
but when I called back to verify that I was ready for them to fix
up one  for me, they chickened out of selling it to me. I admit that
I ran my mouth too much about coiling and I think this is what real-
ly scared him off :-( Funny thing though, this same individual who
decided that it was too risky to sell me one gave me the name
and number of a rival transformer rebuild shop that was in the same
town and when I talked to him, I had no problem obtaining one
from him. He seemed totally unconcerned about any liability and
was more than happy to load a brand new looking, rebuilt 280 lb.
10 kVA, 14400 volt/ 120-240 volt, two-bushing, no taps, non-PCB
pole mount transformer into the back of my old S-10 pick-up truck.
He even asked me what in the world I was wanting with such a
transformer and I told him about Tesla coils and he just shrugged
his shoulders and took my $270 and told me to have a nice day.

I've also directed a fellow pupman TCML list member (un-Terry Ox-
andale) to this supplier for his pole pig needs, as we both live in the
same region (mid-South US). I may have mentioned this supplier
by name in previous posts, but like Steve, I'm a little skittish about
giving this info out so freely now-a-days, as I wouldn't want to ruin my
(or un-Terry's) "honey-hole" for pigs. I would really rather get to
know someone personally now before giving out this info.

I wouldn't personally mention the "T" word today while trying to ob-
tain a pole pig, as a few litigation happy "bad apples" have made it
tough for all of us.

One more thing. "I" would ask for a 14400 volt INPUT, 120/240 volt
OUTPUT transformer as opposed to vise-versa, since that's the way
that they are designed to be connected in electrical utility service.

Sparkin' in  Memphis,
David Rieben