Re: Horizontal TCs?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Patrick Leonard by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-rogers-dot-com>

> The very first TC I ever saw was the horizontal type, where the sparks occurs
> between two electrodes at the end of the secondary form.
>
> I have a lot of nostalgia for these kinds of coils, and would love to hear
> about some horizontal coils that are out there. I want some pics!!

Although possible, usually as twin coils in the shape of two Tesla
coils back-to-back, this is uncommon. Are you sure that you are not
thinking in an induction coil?
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/graet197.jpg
They are flyback circuits similar to what is still used in ignition
systems. They operate at much lower frequencies, are an older idea, and
the input energy comes from current in the primary winding, instead of
from voltage in the primary capacitance. Otherwise, their operation is
really similar to the operation of a Tesla coil.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz