Re: RQ gap spacing theory question

Hi Paul,

On 3 Dec 2001, at 21:12, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "pjj by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jjenkins-at-satx.rr-dot-com>

> Lately we have been talking about plasma acs and the resistance of a
channel of
> ionized air.
>
> The question i pose is how is the summ of all the gaps EQUAL to the total gap
> it seams to me once the 1st gap of 50 thousandths or so was broken down that
> channel stays open and the next it there for just another .050" or am i think
> outa line here.
>
> In short i'm thinking the electrons are just leap froging from one to another
> only gapping one at a time till all are crossed then it discharges the
cap and
> quenches all and starts over

Without any attempt at sub-nS analysis, it is probable that the gaps
start conducting in a cascade fashion as you suggest. Within a very
short time, all conduct simultaneously to complete a high-current
path. There is a conduction voltage drop associated with each gap,
much like the forward drop in a diode.

Regards,
Malcolm