Re: GB> Chaffee Spark Gap

Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>

Hi
sorry to play the dummy here, but this all sounds really interesting,
could you run down a couple of things to a non-expert? like describe
basically what a poulson arc is and does, is it similar to a quench gap?

And the probable environment in the gap in the article? It said moist
hydrogen in nitrogen, if I remember correctly? Is that at sea level pressure,
or more, or less? what would be purity concerns, (besides eliminating
the o2!)

Would the alcohol vapor have to be pure alcohol, or would this too be
in nitrogen? Could you "prime" such a gap by running  a spark through
alcohol and air with an outlet hole and burn off the 02, then seal it
and run it? It seems that if small enough a cavity is made, then the
amount of alcohol needed would be very small (teaspoon at a time)? If
list members are shooting hair net into the backs of spud guns for four
seconds (tee hee), it couldn't be that dangerous, could it?

curious

--
Wells Campbell
wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com - email