new coil emerging

Original poster: "maykrug by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mf31-at-qwest-dot-net>

after much trial and error, i still haven't gotten it right.

i originally found the plans in an electronics project book from, i think
the 50's.
followed the plans loosely, excuses being available materials.

it was a 2" secondary 12"end to end, thick cardboard mailing tube. wood
plugs made to fit tightly
in either end without glue or screws. 28 awg enameled wire, approximately
500', no rf ground, wrapped
with clear packaging tape. 25 wraps of #10 insulated wire on a 5" piece of
2-1/2" pvc (wasn't too
sure about the bare copper at 15kv. a foil cap of uncertain value, 12" x 8"
x 3/16" plexiglass as a
dielectric, 2 5/16" bolts for the sg. no topload no protection circuit, not
even a momentary contact
switch, just me, a 120v plug, an extension cord, a fire extinguisher, and
an alibi. for a grand total of
maybe an 1/8" barely noticeable seemingly infinitesimally minute and
distant spark, and then only if
i extended the exacto knife taped to the end of a 6' length of 3/4" pvc in
said proximity.

    it was at this point, in all my abounding cleverness, that i realized i
must not have all the information.
so, armed with a DSL, and a strong sense of huh!!! here i is.

    and if you liked this little story, perhaps i will post chapter 2
already in progress and nearing completion, with different props and
similar results. this book could be longer than anything
written by dostoevski.

dan