Ignition coils as high voltage sources

Original poster: "Dan Olson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dan__olson-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I am in the beginning stages of building a smaller (under 100 watts anyway)
CO2 laser, and I am having a bear of a time trying to find a neon sign
transformer to run the thing with.  I have heard of people using an HEI
ignition coil as a power source for these types of lasers, and being that
you folks were the high voltage experts, I thought I would ask you how well
such a thing would work.  The recomended power source for one of these
lasers is generally a neon sign transformer of about 15,000 volts by 60 mA,
but I have had no luck coming by one of those.  I do have a GM HEI coil
though, so I thought if I could get that to work, I would be set.  I have
seen a couple of Tesla coils built around that coil, so if anyone would have
a schematic or would be able to help me understand how to wire the thing up,
I would be really appreciative.  I don't know a whole lot about electronics
to be honest, although I have tinkered with them for a while now.  I am very
well aware of the dangers of high voltage, and I will excercise extreme
caution when playing with this thing, so please don't feel skittish about
helping me out.  I've done my fair share of high voltage work with oil
burner transformers, and I have learned how to conduct myself in it's
presence.  Ideally, I would like to run it either straight from a wall plug
or else with a 12 volt battery.  I really don't want to have to build or buy
a power supply if I don't have to.  Thanks a whole lot for any help you can
provide me.