Re: Capacitor construction

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I've built a couple of small glass plate & foil caps,
and they worked OK. The second one I built eventually
failed, but it ran for many weeks before it died. An
autopsy revealed the glass plates covered with fine,
spider-web cracks. I don't know if this was caused by
thermal stress or high voltage stress. If you have
glass plates on-hand, and economy is a consideration,
what's to debate? By all means build one. It might
give years of good service, or it might fail the first
time you pour the coal to it. Only one way to find
out...

Cheers,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg
ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com
> Original poster: "Daniel Barrett by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dbarrett-at-clearcube-dot-com>
>
>     Hi all!
>     I'm new to the list and currently building my
> first coil. From What I have
> seen, MMC's are the capacitor of choice, but I was
> wondering if anyone has
> experimented with glass plates with aluminum foil or
> brass sheets for the
> electrodes. Both of these are in abundant supply in
> my shop and I'm trying to
> save a buck :)
> Has anyone had any luck with this? is the dielectric
> constant of glass
> sufficient to get a good Q in the primary?
> TIA,
> db

<mailto:dbarrett-at-clearcube-dot-com>dbarrett-at-clearcube-dot-com