Re: Where to get high voltage diodes?

Original poster: "Mike Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

You can get 1kv diodes rated at 1A from digikey.  I built a fullwave
rectifier for up to 15 kv
and a diode filtration network (rated at 200kvdc) for a little over 100
dollars.  The fullwave
was fairly straightforward--I got ahold of some surplus plexiglass, drilled
holes in it, and
connected 15 diodes in series per leg (there were 4).  Right now I'm using
it to rectify my 2kv
supply for my poulsen arc, so its pretty much overkill, but it works great.
The diode network was built using female circuit board sockets, which I
plugged the diodes into
to avoid having to buy pcb. There are 2 modules, each encased in wax, and
since implementing them
I have had no problems with rf.
    The major expense was the diode network--so I assume that you could
build a rectifier for no
more than 30 dollars.
            --Mike