Re: Triggered Tap Testing

Hi Alex,

At 08:38 PM 8/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I am in the process of constructing a trigger gap and I have a few
>questions.
>1. What current do most trigger gaps draw assuming a 150 watt load
>resistor?

I disconnected the 400 watt resistors.  I get 0.5 to 1.0A RMS.  The peaks
can get up to 13 amps.  The signal is a bunch of sharp spikes that a RMS
clamp meter could not see.  Had to use the Pearson 411 current monitor and
TEK scope.

>2. Where can I get some doorknob cap(s) cheep and are they necessary for
>good performance?

I have not been using them.  The impedance of the GM coil seem high enough
to it is not a problem.  However, I think using the caps would be safer.  I
don't know of a good source.

>3.  How important is a line filter and where can I get one cheep. I do keep
>some electronics plugged in while I am running the coil.

The line filter only stops radio frequency interference.  TV, phone, radio.
 Computers are not very susceptible to that.  If the other stuff is turned
off, it is not an issue.

I would definitely put MOVs all over the place.  There is a chance the
primary circuit could find it's way to the AC line.  Having a dozen MOVs in
there will keep a multi kV pulse out of the AC line if something goes bad.
Radio shack sell them for like $2 each or they can be ordered for far less.
 New line filters are expensive but used ones are dirt cheap, just like AC
caps...

Cheers,

	Terry