Re: Size and weight of portable coils

Hi John,

I move my coils around a lot so here are my words of wisdom ;-)

I like the corrugated dryer ducts for a toroid.  They are not smooth and
beautiful, but you can throw them in the car without any worry of damage.
$9 and 1/2 hour, and they are new again.  I have some really nice big
toroids that are almost "too nice" to use.  The dryer duct toroids are also
light and easy to carry especially since you can bump them into things ;-)

Hopefully, the rotary gaps will be replaced soon buy the much lighter
triggered gaps.  Carrying the motors and the heavy mountings for the rotor
and electrodes presents a major "chunk" to carry.

I agree totally that the secondary should be made long enough to remove the
worry or racing arcs.  A few more inches in secondary length can save a ton
of problems.  This also helps when the coil is used after rain and such
outdoors :-))

The variac is always like an iron brick to carry.  Maybe the lamp (fan)
dimmer control will someday replace it or the newer electronics that are
being worked on.

The NST may be around for awhile...  Having carried around and shipped a
few of the 15/120's has given me a new respect for the force of gravity.
Maybe a few smaller NSTs and opposed to one big one...

Those oil filled caps waiting to explode all over the car are long gone.
MMC are carried without a second thought.  However, they do need to be made
sort of solid to withstand a throw in the trunk...

It is best to try and put the parts together in easily carried "chunks".
Too many light parts need lots of trips to the car while a few big heavy
chunks will break your back.  All the wires and such should be basically
preassembled so only the connections need to be made.  Those light little
travel carts used at the airports can be really handy!

Cheers,

	Terry