Cheap new rotary motors

Original poster: "Kevin R Eldredge by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>

All

  After passing the fan area at Wal Mart two times a week, I could not
resist buying the Lasko 20" box fan for a mere $11.00 (local price).  The
curiosity in me wanted to know what kind of motor it had, and was it
capable of sync. converion.
 It turns out it does convert to sync. as it has a permanent split
capacitor (psc) motor rated around 1750 RPM.  There is a 4 uF molded
plastic run capacitor wired directly at the motor, and a 4 wire lead for
3 speed control from the speed switch.

  The body of the motor is 4" wide, 2.5" long with a double flange on the
rear case for mounting.  The shaft is 3/8" dia x 1 1/8" riding on sleeve
all position bushings (remember, only $11.00).   The shaft has a flat for
setscrew type hubs, but the fan blade provided is a pressure fit & easy
to remove.

  4 screws from the case and the motor is apart, no plastic on this motor
other than the internal shaft shims.  The rotor is
1- 11/16" wide and "two" flats were milled 180 deg. apart.   The flats
were made 13/16" wide.   Tests were made with a 6" x 1/4" fibreglass disk
mounted with an aluminum hub.  It locks in the same place every start up
& locks in at 115 volts, unlocks at 40 volts.   This is with the disk
mounted, no electrodes.  1/8" dia. tungsten would be ideal for this set
up.

  This converts to a 1800 RPM motor, so 4 electrodes will be needed for
120 BPS.  Two flats were all that was needed as with 4 electrodes it will
always lock in a position to fire after phase adjustments are made.

  The model number is 3733, and any Wal Mart should carry at least 52,358
of these in the Summer from what I can see on the shelves.

Kevin E.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.