Re: rotary failure

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

>From the amount of smoke that came out of the motor, I would think that it
would be pretty obvious where the motor was damaged.  And yes, my motor was
within 16" of my primary. It was actually probably 8 inches below the
primary. I didn't have any extensive amounts of wire running to the motor,
but I guess at that proximity it wouldn't matter much. I also noticed some
other odd effects while I had the SRSG wired into my coil.  I have some
chokes between my capacitors and my NST and normally they don't cause any
problems. With the SRSG, they got very hot and began to smoke. I also noticed
some flashes coming from the outlet that my coil was plugged into. Besides
all of that, I wasn't getting any output from my toroid.  My best guess is
that the pulses in the primary induced current to form in the windings of the
motor, which caused it to run way out of sync. Since my rotary gap was
ruining asynchronously, it was easier for the arcs to form across the safety
gap. I assume that this is why it was firing so much. With the safety gap
firing, the capacitor would be dumping a lot of current through my chokes,
which was causing them to overheat. As for the flashes coming from the
outlet, I really have no idea what could have caused that, unless the current
being induced in the windings of the motor was high enough voltage to arc
between the prongs on the plug. Oh well, back to the old static gap. Maybe
I'll try out a triggered gap, when the designs are more finalized.
                                    Justin