RE: VTTC

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Rich -

The JHCTES Ver 3.3 program is for classical Tesla coils only. To my
knowledge no one has ever produced a program for VTTC that includes the
coupling.

Because of lack of coupling data for any size Tesla coil most coilers
usually raise the secondary above the primary. During testing the secondary
is then lowered until the best spark length is found. Not much help for the
designer. At present the optimum coupling is found only by test. When
raising the secondary the coupling reduces rapidly causing the linkages and
the spark length to reduce. However, changing the secondary also changes the
tuning which changes the spark length.

The old JHCTES Ver 2.3 program is the only program that was once available
that recommended a primary to secondary distance that would prevent
sparkovers. This P/S distance was based on empirical data and appeared to
work but coilers preferred to raise the secondary.

All TC programs today are mostly to guide you to obtain properly tuned
primary and secondary circuits. The coupling is somewhat of an orphan.

Sorry I can't give you more information but Tesla coil design and building
is still in it's infancy. There is very little useful data on coupling.

For coilers who are interested in TC coupling click on the JHCTES Ver 3.3
program at

     http://home.att-dot-net/~couturejh/

Note that this program requires the designer to enter the secondary terminal
capacitance. This parameter can be estimated in several ways including
ETesla6.

John Couture