Re: triggered gap quench at high power, was home brewtachometer

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 8/9/01 10:51:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> > But I thought triggered gaps were supposed to replace sync RSG's......just
> >  kidding. The day you run 15kVA through a triggered gap is the day I throw
> >  (smash, hurl, burn) the rotary away. Rotaries are a major pain (pg-13
> here)
> >  if you don't have access to a machine shop.
> >
> >  So BTW, what IS the maximum power anyone has ever put through a triggered
> >  static gap? Couple of kVA? I wonder at what point it's unable to quench.
> (I
> >  bet a powerful vacuum triggered gap would work well)
>
> Justin,
>
> I don't know how much folks have put through a triggered
> gap at the max, but I do know that about 100kW has been
> put through

So far i've triggered a pole pig at 14kv-at-660ma this quenched well, But
the trigger electrode needed to be on the leading edge of the vacuum
source.
I'm thinking that the effect was that as the trigger pulsed plasma was
produced, It was pulled across the main gap spacing witch facilitated
the main gap conduction?

 a single static gap, and quenched with a supersonic
> air blast, on an old large TC.  I forget offhand if it was 100kW,
> or 66kW, but it was something in that ballpark.
> The coil gave 9 meter sparks I seem to remember, and it
> was rather inefficient overall.  I don't see any reason why
> such a gap couldn't be triggered.  It's probably better to
> use pressure rather than vacuum for cooling and quenching,
> since this permits the use of a shorter gap path, and therefore
> lower losses.

I'm not sure what the "shorter gap path" means, But i use a strong
vacuum source and as i said, The trigger electrode on the anode side.
The gap spacing was on the order of 2.5" for the main electrodes and a
1/2" spacing for the trigger to anode.

> I guess to trigger a gap at higher than 120 bps, a different kind of
> timer circuit would be needed other than the lamp dimmer.
> Some sort of 555 timer based circuit should work well.

Right, In my dc coil testing i used the trigger driver that i sent to
hotstreamer-dot-com Along with a decade resistor and decade capacitor box's.
This allowed for some "wild" break rates, One thing i wanted to try was
using the triggered gap for the audio inputted break rates. I thought
maybe the audio signal could be inputted into a transistor that could
power the trigger circuit?
Maybe those coilers with some audio experience could help here, At least
some input?

Marc M.
geek #1055
thegeekgroup-dot-com