RE: safety gaps on capacitors

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Aren't all pulse-duty caps, including individual MMC-worthy caps, built with
an extended-foil configuration?  While the old rolled poly (shudder) caps
were indeed a pair of long strips, I don't think this applies to most
others.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

>All,
>
>Simple safety gaps (not impedance current limited) placed across your tank
>capacitor can cause the capacitor to fail due to a mechanism known as
Blumlein
>Inversion Generator.  The capacitor is usually a long pair of foil strips
with
>a dielectric between.  The fact that it is rolled up is not important.
This