Re: safety gaps on capacitors

Original poster: "Area31 Research Facility by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwstephens-at-hurontario-dot-net>

Bart,

This is a problem I have not yet personally sought a solution, but I have
thought about it and think I know where I would start to try to devise a
solution in the lab by actual experiment.

In simple terms the capacitor represents a PFN or transmission line and you
want the load you switch onto it with the spark gap switch to match the
characteristic impedance so that maximum power will be transferred with minimal
reflection.

If this were my problem I suppose I could scope the capacitor terminals and
test the capacitor at something safe like 100 VDC with a charging supply
isolation resistor in the neighborhood of 1 k ohm or higher, and try dropping a
power resistor across the cap while changing it's value until I saw minimal
ringing at the capacitor terminals.  That would be the value to place in series
with the safety gap.  Your next consideration would be the power rating of the
resistor.  Since a cap safety gap fires infrequently if at all in a properly
tuned system the peak power could be high but the average power will be low.  A
resistor that has good thermal mass, but sized perhaps smaller than the Joule
rating of the cap at Tesla service voltage might be sufficient.  If you want to
see the accompanying movie that describes it all much more clearly download
'handwaving.avi'.

Just kidding.

Or you could ask someone who knows.

Rob