Re: First Light in Oz and topload question

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Stacy,

I once built a 4.5" x 24" coil based on a 15/30 NST.
10" to 11" sparks is a bit less than I would have
expected from your coil. I have a couple of ideas. For
one thing, lack of breakout might indicate an oversize
topload. Try a smaller one. On a coil this size you
might have better results with a spherical terminal
instead of a toroid. A 6" diameter plastic ball
covered with foil stuck on with spray glue makes a
cheap discharge sphere.

The next suspect is your spark gap. A single static
air blast or sucker-type spark gap might improve
performance a bit. If nothing else, the single static
would make gap adjustment simpler and more consistent.
Gary Lau has the neatest and most efficient example of
the two-horned sucker gap I've ever seen. It's such a
simple design it should be easy to copy.

Third suspect is the saltwater cap. Obviously a low
loss plastic film cap would be better. However, even
the beer bottle cap can be improved. My own beer
bottle cap has never exhibited any RF heating even at
power levels up to 7.5KVA. I seem to have found a
brand of bottle well suited to RF work (quite by
accident). Also, you might want to experiment with
different numbers of bottles to find the optimum
primary turns / capacitance ratio.

With a bit of tinkering & refinement, sparks in excess
of 18" is a reasonable goal.

Best Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg