Re: Ford Coil Triggered Gap Testing

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

terry,

Tesla list wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> I fiddled with it a bit and now the AC line input looks like:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/CoilTest/NewACinput.gif
>
> And the coil input looks like:
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/CoilTest/NewCoilinput.gif

that's some fiddling!!! almost too good to believe.
is this with the filter on the line side and MOV's up front?
with 180v-at-11 amp i think it just might be a viable system here, i sure
do like the looks of it.

> Some of the voltage spikes are radiated noise getting on the big probe and
> are not real.  There is a 240 volt MOV across it and if I disconnect and
> short the probe, the noise is still there ;-)  The Tek5100 probe would be
> far better but the big probe can take a direct 40kV hit.

> So it is well under control and very tame now.  I'll have to look at the
> grounding system some more and see if I can get rid of that $30 line
> filter.  It would be nice to model the thing and do some fault studies
> (like discharging the primary cap into the coil's output and the coil's
> input wires) to be sure there are no holes that could blow it up.

good thinking, my biggest worry was dropping a primary lead and having
the tank discharge into the trigger electrode?

i'm in the muddle of restructuring my system now so i can't do any power
tests (figures?) but your electrodes will be going out tomorrow.
i will be using a filter on the line now and those gas discharge tubes
in place of the mov's.
fantastic work, i'll look forward to the comments coming in.

  Far from
> done yet but the problems should be tiny now...  Probably should ground the
> coil can too...

i do ground the dimmer, never considered the can? i always thought the
higher voltage of the ford coil would hold off any tank voltage from
coming into the coil?
these are the things i'm just no good at, good finessing on your part.
good things to come me thinks.
marc m.