Awsome first light !! but...

Original poster: "The Big Giant Kevin by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <neo4s-at-hotmail-dot-com>

WOW, 8 inch streamers, at 40 volts on the variac. Help from the list was
invaluable; I could not have done it without you guys, thanks to everyone.
But… I couldn’t seem to get the variac over 40 or 50 volts then my capacitor
safety gap would start to fire. I set the cap safety gap to fire at 12 kV.
Why was it so active with only 5 kV out of my NST? Tuning seemed to help
reduce the safety gap firing, but not much. I didn’t spend a great deal of
time tuning. I was in a small metal shed; it was 95 degrees outside, and 110
degrees inside. Florida sucks in the summer, nothing but mosquitoes and
humidity. Could tuning be my problem here? Nothing special in my setup,
12/30 NST, Terry protection, static gap with fan, LTR cap, line filters.
Thanks for any help, Kevin