RE: Capacitor configuration?

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi David,

That would be a bit hard for a 30mA transformer to charge. I ruined a
perfectly good 15/60 by pushing it to the limit with a 48nF tank cap. I was
able to push 2.8KVA into it. It worked OK, but most of the power went into
heating the oil in the tank rather than into streamers. After I went back to
a 16nF MMC (which would allow the voltage to go all the way up) both
secondaries burned shorted. I had over-amped the secondary windings
carbonizing the insulation. Terry Fritz has done some work on LTR caps and
has found that apparently the shunts can be saturated and make the current
limiting "go away". Of course Terry used a fuse to limit the ultimate
current, I just pushed it as far as it would go.

I would suggest using one string for the 12/30, and keep the other in
reserve till you get another 12/30 to parallel with it, or a 12/60 to
replace it.

later

deano