Re: Basic TS curcuit conflict

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

The two hookup schemes are essentially identical.  The
only reason to choose one over the other is that many
coilers prefer to have both transformer leeds going to
the spark gap, so it can also act as a safety gap.
Why your coil's behavior would change so much just
switching from one setup to the other is a mystery to
me.  It shouldn't make any difference,
performance-wise.

Racing sparks are a symptom.  The most common cause of
racing sparks is over coupling.  Too much input power
can also cause racing sparks--how big is your power
supply? Additionally, racing sparks can sometimes be
cured by using a bigger top load.  Of course, if you
are using a pre-tested design like the one from J.H.
Couture's book, then the racing sparks are a bit
perplexing.

Wish I could be more help.  I'm as puzzled as you are.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg