Re: springs or wire coils?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

> Hello RQ,
>
> Garage door springs come to mind.  Don't know how effective they would be.
> About 2 feet long and an inch or two diameter.  Thick wire, maybe 10 or 12
> gauge.  Adjacent turns could be insulated with layers of plastic or just
> make a frame that stretches the spring a little.
>
> The one in my garage is 23.5" long, 1 1/4 inches diameter, 13 turns in 2
> inches, and measures 1/2 ohm (painted so adjacent turns shouldn't short an
> ohmmeter).  A laminated core would be the way to go, but insulation would be
> no problem; shrink tubing would do the job on the core.  Calculates at about
> 37.9 microHenries (no core).  Could insert several ferrite antenna cores.
>
> It's awfully big for what it would do.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

	Very lossy, but that might not matter for use in protective filters.
However, despite the ridiculous size, you just couldn't get enough
inductance to do anything at all.  Why is everyone afraid of winding
coils?  Easy, even by hand, and the results are satisfying.

Ed