Design programs, was Re: JHCTES software review

Original poster: "Alan Yang by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <megavolt121-at-mediaone-dot-net>

Greg, All
    There are many excellent programs out there to help you design a tesla
coil. My favorites include an Excel Spreadsheet. I believe the first one I
saw was made by Ed Sonderman. I've also seen a few of them that have been
added upon. the one i like the most now is the version Corey Ruch which has
an MMC matrix attached to it. This spreadsheet tells you a ton of info (some
of which i still dont understand). It also has the spark length prediction
that Greg mentioned. You can get this spreadsheet at:
http://members.tripod-dot-com/coreyonline/newtesla.html
    Another design program I use is Terry's E-Tesla X program. (I don't know
what version he's on now. Last time I checked, it was 5.something) This
program does a lot of nifty things, including plotting out e-fields. Other's
on the list can tell you more info since I don't remember it off the top of
my head. Hey Terry, how about some info please? You can get this program at
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/Programs.htm
    Using these two programs, I've designed and built a coil, along w/ many
other coilers. We don't bother using anything else becuase these two
programs are VERY accurate (in fact, i was with a buddy once and the actual
freq. of his secondary was about .5khZ off from the E-Tesla predicted freq)
and give all the info needed.

-Alan