Re: Bucket cap question

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Michael, All!

>    If I am reading this correctly (?) than the best, short of
>hydrochloric acid, is calcium hydroxide.  Hydrated lime is cheep at
the
>gardening supply store.  What would be the disadvantages of using
this
>for a bottle and bucket cap?

Hydrated or slaked lime, calcium hydroxide, is not very soluble, a bit
less than two tenths of a gram per hundred ml of water. (FWIW it's
also strange stuff in that it gets *less* soluble as temperature
increases!)  Also, the solution reacts with atmospheric carbon
dioxide, depositing calcium carbonate over time (or more quickly if
you blow into it through a straw: "lime water" is the classic lab test
for CO2 in exhaled breath!)

Dunckx
Geek#1113 (G-1)