Re: Variac Question

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Benjamin Ness by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bness-at-home-dot-com>

> Hey All!
>
>         I finally got a variac for my coil, and I was just curious as to
what the
> connections are.  It is made by General Radio Company, under the Variac
> brand name.  The only model number is Type M10.  There are 5 connections (I
> think that is standard for a variac), arranged like so:
>
> + 2                              4 +
> ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
> + 1              + 3             5 +
>
> Also, it says on it 350 cycles minimum. I'm not sure if this means I can't
> use it on 60 hz or not?  Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
>
> Benjamin Ness

Hi Ben...

looks like you have a 400 Hz military type variac ....   it is "useable"
but the inductance
values of the core are going to be different than at 400 hz. the problems
most likely to be
encountered will be that the core of the variac will begin to saturate alot
quicker than it is
supposed to, thus causing an unstable voltage output and the possiblity of
excessive current flow
( which heats up the core windings way too fast).

Scot D