Re: Variac Question

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Benjamin Ness by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bness-at-home-dot-com>

> I finally got a variac for my coil, and I was just curious as to what the
> connections are.  It is made by General Radio Company, under the Variac
> brand name.  The only model number is Type M10.  There are 5 connections (I
> think that is standard for a variac), arranged like so:

> + 2                              4 +
> ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
> + 1              + 3             5 +

	Some are tapped in a 'a few percent' from each end, for use
	on out of norm supplies.  Or the extra terminals may be just
	for wiring convenience.

> Also, it says on it 350 cycles minimum.

	Ooooooops.
	Sounds like a unit designed for 400 Hz (aircraft power system)
	use.

> I'm not sure if this means I can't use it on 60 hz or not?

	It can be used but at seriously degraded power handling
	capacity.  (unless someone has tried it...)

>  Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

	best
	dwp