Re: DC rotary gap?

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Whatever you can find that looks good to you will work. I would look for a
1/4+ horse 90vdc motor. They come in various RPMs, around 5000 would be
good. You can power it off a variac and full wave bridge rectifier. AC
motors will work too, but they're not as easy to vary RPMs from zero to max,
because they really need a variable frequncy drive, where DC motors vary
with input voltage. You may want to put a DC voltmeter in the circuit and/or
a tachometer. Your BPS will vary, depending on the size of your cap,
voltage, and power you want to be able to run. You can figure the approx.
BPS w/ the formula:

BPS= ((Vo*Io)-L)/(C*Vo^2)

where:
Vo is your transformers output voltage (after rectification to DC)
Io is your transformers output current
L is losses from filters etc.
C is capacitance in farads

You can build the gap for whatever BPS you want, around 700-1000 is a good
number, but you may want to be able to change the number of electrodes, so
you can go higher or lower at a given RPM.

Good luck on your coil!!

Jason Johnson