Re: springs or wire coils?

Original poster: "Samuel Rosset by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <samr-at-bluewin.ch>

Hi RQ, all

The problem with springs is that the steel used to make them is quite
resistive. I don't have any number at hand, but Spring steel resistivity is
higher than copper's. You would loose some energy there.
Additionally, The nail you want to put inside your spring will be made of
Iron or steel, which might have quite a high permitivity, but it will have a
large hysteresis and you will lose power in the nail. If you want to
increase the inductivity, you must use soft iron core, as the ones used in
transformers.

Hope this helps

Samuel