Re: Smooth coatings/secondary (winding pics)

Original poster: "Ed S. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <seeked-at-sover-dot-net>

Hi Will,

Following the advice of others, I just strapped down  a standard variable
speed drill on a few scrap blocks of wood.
Temporary wooden end caps were made (could use standard PVC end caps), and a
threaded rod was passed through the secondary/end caps, and chucked in the
drill.

I threw some pictures up for you to check out if you like at:
http://www.sover-dot-net/~seeked/

I used nuts, and some plumbing parts with the correct size tapped holes for
the threaded rod for mounting (the threaded rod/etc. is readily available at
hardware stores).
Even though my drill has variable speed, I still plugged it into my variac
so that I could make sure that I had exactly the speed I wanted, and also an
easy way to creep up to speed.
I placed the spool of wire on a wooden rod parallel to the secondary and
then just kept tension on the wire (using a glove) and let it wind..... ..
the whole coil can be wound in minutes.
It works great for applying poly urethane also .......  just let it spin
until the P.U. dries.  (for one coat, I remember forgetting, and coming back
into my shop hours later with the thing still spinning, dog with stressed
look on face, etc. - not recommended).
At the last minute I threw on a turns counter...(just to impress
myself/dog).... using an offset disk, switch, and an old solenoid operated
counter from a duplicating machine (I knew one of those 58,321 parts that
I've been collecting for years would come in handy!)......A solid state
counter could be triggered in a similarly ungraceful manner.
Looking at the photos of my pristine shop, I just found something I've been
looking for......... problem is, the pictures are a few years old and my
shop has been tilled a few times since.
Hope this helped.
Ed. (As long as I've made a rare list surfacing maneuver, if you'll indulge
me Terry,  --> Robert Cressler, (Guru of the plastic sphere) if you are
still subscribed, email me if you get a chance, as your job change
invalidated your address.