Re: barium titanate doorknob caps

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Gary and Al,
>
> Ok, now that we have all three had our say about my killing the barium
> safety thread (which "I" am solely responsible for), let's get down to the
> cool stuff.
>
> Al, how in the world are you planning on making these caps?  I assume you
> need fairly high quality clay (ceramic) and you need to fire it somehow
> with interleaved plates inside.

	The FILTER capacitors I have dissected have plates only on the two
sides of the ceramic "puck".  Obviously, with interleaved plates and a
lower dielectric constant ceramic you can get same capacitance with
lower loss.  Can't see how even the manufacturers manage that, let alone
how it could be done at home.  Of course, for the home made capacitor
flat sheets of copper should work pretty well.

Ed