Re: Are Monster Toploads Really Needed?

In a message dated 4/23/01 10:47:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest.
> net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Bart, Al, all,

I agree there must be something rather unusual about Al's
coil that causes it to give the same spark length with or without
a toroid.  I suspect that something about the design is making
it somewhat inefficient, and it is not able to benefit from a toroid.
For example, maybe when the toroid is added, it ruins the
quenching or causes the gap to power arc if the quenching is
marginal.  Adding a toroid
does tend to hurt the quenching in general.  Another possibility
is that a huge secondary is being used for the amount of input
power.  Such a large secondary would need a rather large toroid
to be effective.  However such a large toroid may be too large
for the input power.  I don't know if this is the explanation, but
it's probably something similar.

John