Re: 4 Wonderful MMC/Gap questions

In a message dated 4/22/01 11:29:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> So..... I was wondering if I should target 8.33 nf or can I go up in
>  size a bit (and if so, what would be a practical limit).
>  (any benefit to a LTR size cap without a rotary gap?)

Matt,

An LTR cap is of great benefit with a static gap also.  This
is because the LTR cap will keep the voltage lower on the
NST output.  Over-voltage is a main cause of NST failure.
The matched cap size for your NST is probably about 12nF.
A good LTR size would be 1.5X larger than 12nF or 18nF,
for a static gap.

The use of an LTR cap lets you set the safety gap narrower
for a given spark output.

John Freau